Wednesday, October 21, 2009

I Should Kick Myself

Apparently, somewhere along the line, we Mainers let a bill get passed that outlawed kids from being able to 'observe' wine-tastings. It went into effect Sept. 12.

I try and stay on top of bills and laws being bandied about, proposed and passed. I missed this one completely.

It seems rather innocuous, and really, it won't negatively effect me as I don't have any kids to bring to wine tastings. But still, it's arbitrary. I'm a bureaucrat. It's in my very nature to guard against the arbitrary!

This law doesn't affect kids viewing people drinking in bars or restaurants or even on street corners. The only alcohol drinkers that are too risque for the eyes of our wee-ones are wine tasters. I guess it's cuz we so hot. Still it's arbitrary, verging on discriminatory. And just plain stupid. Kick me.

The nice thing about Maine though, is it's never too late or impossible to change a law. I shall get busy on that.

For more detail HERE is a story from a local paper.

Salut, Linny

No comments:

Post a Comment